Located in Sussex County, Delaware, the Bethany Beach Boardwalk sits on a small family-friendly beach, often referred to as one of the “Quiet Resorts” alongside South Bethany, and Fenwick Island, not too far from Rehoboth beach, and just a short drive from Ocean City, MD.
The Delaware beaches have many little gems, and this free public beach is definitely one of them.
Here are the 7 reasons to visit this Boardwalk this summer!
1. Family tradition: Whether you are starting a new one or continuing a long-standing custom, there’s nothing like summer family traditions. Maybe you grew up in the area and have fond memories that you want to keep alive, or could be a new family to the region and want to start making memories, take a visit and fall in love! A trip to the beach is always a good idea, and when it’s as beautiful as this, you’ll be sure to keep coming back time after time.
2. Engage your 5 senses. Touch, taste, sight, sound, smell. Oh, can you smell that? It’s just an awesome mix of sea salt in the air, crispy salted fries, and the scent of sweet soft serve ice cream melting. Feel the melt! The things memories are made of; the sights, smells, taste, feel, and sounds of a visit to the boardwalk. The Bethany Beach Boardwalk has options when it comes to awakening your taste buds. If you’re looking for traditional boardwalk finds, you’ll find them. Another engager of the senses, seagulls, and the sound of the ocean. They are key instruments in the soundtrack of boardwalk and beach visits.
3. It’s clean! It’s a very clean, neat, tidy beach. It’s beautiful and well taken care of. If you are looking for good, clean beach fun, look no further. The people of Delaware love and respect their beaches, and it shows. This is the type of community that takes pride in their natural resources, ensuring that it will only get more and more beautiful (if that’s possible) over time.
4. The shops: A variety of shops for all. There really is something for everyone. From books and eats, surfboards and dog treats, to arts and crafts, and even stuffed toy giraffes. A variety for all to enjoy for sure!
5. Great walk! It’s much easier to get a good amount of walking in when surrounded by such beauty. Whether you get here by car, trolley, or just step out from your home, your adventure begins with a many beautiful, inspiring, creative shops to walk in and out of. You can walk the boardwalk in its entirety without much challenge, but the rewards are plenty! From the boardwalk, it’s only a few steps away from the edge of the ocean. It makes for an extremely pleasant day of walking with lots to see and do along the way. Plus, you’ll get to brag about all of those steps you racked up while enjoying the beach.
6. Eats & sweets: While going to and from the boardwalk you’ll be walking through the various tempting smells wafting through the air. Fudge and cotton candy, freshly popped popcorn, hotdogs and more! Comfort food, sweets, and treats, grab and go, or sit and eat, there is something for everyone (even healthy and fresh varieties.) Those with special dietary needs can satisfy their bellies, and sweet teeth too. Here’s one of the many eats to explore https://heidawaybethany.com/ especially if you have special dietary needs.
7. The sand and amazing views: The boardwalk leads you to the sand, and let’s be honest, it doesn’t get much better than the feeling of warm sand between your toes. There are so many ways to entertain oneself in the sand. Hunt for sand crabs, a favorite local pastime for the little ones. Build a sandcastle, run from the waves, go for a walk, or just lay on a blanket under an umbrella and enjoy a good book.
BONUS: The community puts on amazing events like concerts, bonfires, and movies on the beach, oh my!
You can find out about these great events in our weekly weekend events guide.
Go out, and enjoy!